This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

POLLETT'S BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POLLETT'S BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1054193

Location

POLLETT'S BRIDGE, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ellesmere Rural

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whittington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITTINGTON C.P.

SJ 33 SW

5/133

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

(Llangollen Branch)

Pollett's Bridge

II

Canal roving bridge. Circa 1801 with minor later alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Painted brick with ceramic and brick coping ramped down to towpath approaches on east side and terminating in corner piers on west side. Elliptical arch with string course and round-headed recess on west side.

This section of the former Ellesmere Canal was completed circa 1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Ellesmere Rural at List entry 1176962. This entry was removed from the List on 2 October 2017.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 2 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 173
Wilson, E, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal, (1975), 19-20

National Grid Reference: SJ3487232703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:22:33.

End of official listing