Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 04:50:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
West Felton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 36718 25442


WEST FELTON C.P. TEDSMORE SJ 32 NE 8/82 Tedsmone Hall with attached balustrade, archway and 19.1.52 outbuilding (formerly listed as Tedsmore Hall) II Country house. 1768 for Richard Bulkeley-Hatchett remodelled in mid-C19 for Thomas Bulkeley-Owen with additions dated 1878. Red brick, refaced in grey sandstone ashlar to front and right return; red sandstone ashlar additions; slate roofs. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics. 3 gables to front linked by coped parapet terminating in octagonal corner piers with dome finials. Chimney-like finials to left and centre gables. 4-paned sashes, one to attic of left and centre gables, 2 to first floor of left gable and 2 paired to centre gable all with dripstones. Canted bay window to ground floor of left gable has quatrefoil parapet. Porch to right of centre has stepped parapet and circular finials with incised lozenge- shaped decoration and fluted dome caps; carving of bull's head (Bulkeley- Owen family coat-of-arms) to centre. 4-centred moulded arch with floriated label stops over Gothic panelled door. Infilled square-headed windows to sides. External stack to right gable has 2 coats-of-arms to centre and 3 attached and rebated octagonal shafts with moulded capping. Main range has integral end stacks with narrow octagonal shafts; ridge stack to right of centre has 3 attached and rebated shafts with moulded capping. Carvings of bull's heads to 3 lead rainwater heads. Right return in similar style with canted bay window and gabled Gothic-style billiard room to right. 1878 addition to left or main range: 2 storeys with gable to right of centre ; 3 wooden mullioned and transomed windows on each floor with narrow rectangular sash window on first floor to left. Gothic panelled door to left with rectangular overlight and coat-of-arms above with inscription "TVBO 1878" in raised lettering. Ridge stacks to left and right of centre with tops rebuilt in C20 purple brick. Roughly contemporary brick service ranges attached at right-angles to rear. Balustrade: attached to right side of porch has alternating quatrefoil and radiating wheel decoration with slight projection to centre on all 3 sides. Archway: attached to billiard room has 4-centred arch with dripstone and octagonal finials to corners. Coat-of-arms depicting bull's head and bird to centre. Gabled outbuilding attached to right has datestone "1850". Interior. Panelled entrance hall has stone-flagged floor. Oak staircase of c.1768 with twisted balusters, carved open string and wreathed ramped handrail having balusters grouped together as newels to bottom. Panelled dado and later cast-iron lamp stands with irontwist shafts to bottom of staircase; elaborate plaster decoration to side walls. Mid-C19 wooden fireplace overmantel to rear of hall has carving of battle-scene, reminiscent of Michelangelo's "Battle of the Centaurs". Contemporary vaulted plaster ceiling. Similar ceilings to other rooms, including to front room of right return, but room to left of entrance hall has coffered ceiling and carving of grapes to cornice. Adam-style marble fireplaces and C19 panelled window shutters throughout to ground floor. R. Lloyd Kenyon, 'The Township of Tedsmere', Trans. Salop Arch. Soc. 3rd series, vol ii (1902) pp. 405-6.

Listing NGR: SJ3671825442


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in 3rd Series, , Vol. 2, (1902), 405-6


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01585/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Myk Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].