TYN-Y-RHOS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054210

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: TYN-Y-RHOS HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TYN-Y-RHOS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:25:56.

Location

Statutory Address: TYN-Y-RHOS HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Weston Rhyn

National Grid Reference: SJ 27167 36097

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON RHYN C.P. RHOS SJ 23 NE 1/105 Tyn-y-Rhos Hall II Farmhouse, now house. 1711 remodelling for Edward and Alice Phillips of earlier building with later additions and alterations. Rendered timber frame, brick and uncoursed limestone rubble; slate roofs. 4 gables to front, right wider and probably representing earliest surviving part of house. 2 storeys plus attic to cross-wing. 1:1:1:2 bays; C19 three- light wooden mullioned windows in moulded stone surrounds to first floor with similar mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor of right gable. Late C19 canted bay window to middle of 3 left gables, which all have imitation angle quoins and C19 cusped bargeboards with pointed finials; similar barge- boards and finial to right gable. Main entrance in third gable from left through boarded door in moulded wood surround under late C20 open lean- to porch with roof supported by C19 fluted Doric columns, said to have been brought from demolished houses in Liverpool. 4-panel door to left gable has pedimented hood reusing C17 decorative panelling, including carvings of sea monsters; similar half-glazed door with pedimented hood to centre of right gable. Prominent external lateral stack to right gable has 3 attached and rebated yellow brick shafts with toothed capping; subsidiary external lateral brick stack to right and infilled window to left on first floor. C19 rendered stacks with paired and rebated yellow brick shafts and toothed capping in valleys between 2 left gables and between 2 right gables. Moulded datestone "P / EA / 1711" (Edward and Alice Phillips) directly below attic window to right gable. Interior. Much C19 remodelling but C17 decorative panelling, including grotesque figures and other carving (some probably brought from elsewhere), reused throughout, especially in fireplaces and doors. C18 staircase with turned balusters reuses C17 decorative panelling to dado. Chamfered ceiling beams, some boxed in, to both floors and wide boarded oak floor boards to first floor. Roof of right gable has raking struts from tie beams to principal rafters, and incorporates several reused timbers.

Listing NGR: SJ2716736097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255819

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing