This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRYNGWILLA LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRYNGWILLA LODGE

List entry Number: 1054251

Location

BRYNGWILLA LODGE, B5070

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Martin's

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255717

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. MARTIN'S C.P. B.5070 (north side) SJ 33 NW 2/5 Bryngwilla Lodge II

Entrance lodge, now disused. Early C19 for Charlotte, Lady Dungannon. Tooled sandstone ashlar; low-pitched slate roof concealed by embattled parapet. Castellated Gothic style. Central pointed archway with clustered columns and embattled parapet, rounded to ends. Octagonal corner turrets to front and rear, also with moulded cornice and embattled parapets plus cruciform- shaped spike finials with globes to intersections. Lower side ranges, forming living accommodation, also with cornice, embattled parapet and octagonal corner turrets. Blind rectangular slits to turrets together with mock gun-loops to tops of outer turrets. 3-light windows to flanking ranges have intersecting tracery with cast-iron casements and moulded hood- moulds. Flanking walls to left and right to front and rear, open to ends; right formerly incorporating later lean-to. Wrought-iron gates to archway have variety of Gothic motifs including rosettes, quatrefoils and poppy- head finials. Rib-vaulted roof with wooden ribs and foliated plaster boss. Round-headed arched recesses with stone seats to sides and ogee-headed door- ways to flanking ranges with Gothic traceried panelling to doors. Interior: flanking ranges retain original plaster cornices and wooden skirting boards and dado rails. Early C19 fireplace to left range. Bryngwilla Lodge stands at the entrance to the south drive to Brynkinalt (Clwyd), an early C17 house, extensively remodelled between c.1808 and c.1812. Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales, Clwyd (1986) pp. 112-13.

Listing NGR: SJ3030736370

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, 'The Buildings of Wales' in Clwyd, (1986), 112-3

National Grid Reference: SJ 30307 36370

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:39:48.

End of official listing