NAVIGATION INN AND ATTACHED WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054272
Date first listed:
15-May-1986
Statutory Address:
NAVIGATION INN AND ATTACHED WAREHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NAVIGATION INN AND ATTACHED WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 01:51:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
NAVIGATION INN AND ATTACHED WAREHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oswestry Rural
National Grid Reference:
SJ 31368 25027

Details

SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. MAESBURY MARSH

6/187 Navigation Inn and attached warehouse

GV II

Inn and attached warehouse. Circa 1796 with later additions and alterations. Red brick, rendered and painted to front, pantile roof with two C19 purplish red brick ridge stacks to inn. L-plan with warehouse flanking canal. 2 storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; inn to left has angled north end with panelled double doors under C20 porch, large fixed-light windows to left and right with C20 gabled dormer breaking eaves; road front has C19 casements to left and right of C20 door under gabled timber porch, those to ground floor with segmental heads. Warehouse: attached to right has segmental-headed doorway and two C19 casements directly below eaves to left and right (as on inn); segmental-headed doorways on ground and first floors on canal side (former now blocked). This section of the Ellesmere Canal, opened in 1796 to link with the Montgomeryshire Canal at Carreghofa, was used to transport limestone from the quarries at Llanymynech and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Included for group value. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966), p. 170.

Listing NGR: SJ3136825027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255664
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966), 170

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/07692/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R L Francis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].