6, THE CROSS, 4, THE CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054298

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Statutory Address: 4, THE CROSS

Statutory Address: 6, THE CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of 6, THE CROSS, 4, THE CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 10:17:01.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, THE CROSS

Statutory Address: 6, THE CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Oswestry

National Grid Reference: SJ 29045 29610

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 2929 NW OSWESTRY C.P. THE CROSS (north-west side)

14/64 Nos. 4 and 6 10.9.51 (No 6 only) GV II

Bank, now building society. 1905-6 by Shayler and Ridge. Sandstone ashlar, machine tile roof with coped verges to gables. Jacobean style. 3 storeys; 3-light mullion windows with segmental centre lights to second floor, prominent oriels to first floor also of 3 lights have moulded cornices and grotesque faces and floral decoration to undersides, similar 3-light windows to ground floor have pilastered surrounds with figural decoration to capitals; 3 shaped gables with miniature scrolled pediments and round angle turret to right, this has Renaissance-style ornamentation to top and bronze-capped dome with pointed finial; original entrance (now infilled) below with scalloped bracketed hood, present entrance to left inserted in window with late C20 panelled doors; 3 downpipes to front. Included as a well detailed example in a prominent situtation. B.O.E. p. 224.

Listing NGR: SJ2905129614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255535

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 224

End of official listing