WALKMILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054419
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
WALKMILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALKMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 01:37:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALKMILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chirbury with Brompton
National Grid Reference:
SO 27304 97957

Details

CHIRBURY C.P. - SO 29 NE

8/37 Walkmill (formerly - listed as Mill Grange, 21.3. 68 formerly Walkmill)

- II

Mill, now disused. Dated 1802 for John Davis with later additions and alterations. Uncoursed limestone rubble, slate roof. 4-bay mill house with former fulling mill to rear. House: 3 storeys; 4-window front, late C19 flush-framed casements with segmental stone heads; boarded door in second bay from left and late C20 half-glazed door in right bay; integral stack with red brick shaft at junction with range to rear; datestone "ID (John Davis)/1802" between centre windows on second floor. Late C19 single-storey lean-to on left. Mill: full-height and full- width range to rear has segmental-headed windows to first floor and to right of central stable door on ground floor with C20 casement to left; 2 late C20 flat-roofed eaves dormers. Segmental-headed doorway in angle with house. Interior: of house not inspected but noted as having chamfered spine beams and heavy joists to front ground-floor rooms; central oak staircase. Equipment from mill all removed.

Listing NGR: SO2730497957

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257362
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14030/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].