CLUN MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054426
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CLUN MUSEUM, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLUN MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054426 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 07:38:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLUN MUSEUM, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clun
National Grid Reference:
SO 30076 80876

Details

SO 3080-3180; 15/182

CLUN C.P.,

THE SQUARE (North side), Clun Museum (formerly listed as Court House or Town Hall)

01.12.51

GV

II*

Market-house, now museum. Dated 1780, remodelled and ground floor arcade blocked probably in late C19. Coursed and squared limestone rubble (with evidence of former limewashing), sandstone ashlar ground floor facing to South and West and other dressings, later roughcast above ground floor impost level, and hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Projecting plinth, first floor impost band, interrupted floor band to South, moulded wooden eaves-cornice, and central square cupola with louvred keyed round-arches on each face and ogee lead cap with globe finial and wrought iron weather- vane. South front: 3 bays, 1:1:1 rhythm, that in centre slightly projecting; first floor C19 three-light wooden casements with ashlar lintels flanking central lunette; ground floor round-arched arcade with impost blocks and Projecting dropped keystones; 2-light C19 windows set back in outer arches and 2 steps to central archway with boarded door set back. West-front: carved sandstone Powis coat-of-arms on first floor dated "MLCCLXXX"; blocked ground floor round arch with impost blocks, projecting dropped keystone, and inserted C19 nail-studded boarded arched door with elaborate strap hinges.

Listing NGR: SO3007680876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257273
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15928/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].