This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLUN MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLUN MILL

List entry Number: 1054460

Location

CLUN MILL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257258

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3081-3181 CLUN C.P. MILL LANE (South-east side)

13/168 Clun Mill -

GV II

Watermill, now youth hostel. Early C19, extended and re-equipped in the mid-C19 (John Poundley, engineer). Coursed limestone rubble; H- plan slate roof with asymmetrically twin-gabled front, 2 storeys to right and 2 storeys and attic to left. 4-window front; 2-light segmental-headed wooden casements (first floor to right probably replacing loft door - see straight joints beneath); central half- glazed segmental-headed door, door to right blocked in late C20 and replaced with wooden cross casement, ground floor and first floor segmental-headed 2-leaf boarded doors to left. 4 tie-plates between floors to right; small wooden hatch beneath second ground floor window from left, formerly for accommodating a belt drive to external machinery. Interior: complete fittings including grain bins in attic, brackets for shafting on the first floor, ground floor with internal horizontal reaction wheel, 3 pairs of stones in Hurst frame driven from beneath (housing lettered: "COTTON AND DAVIES/22, CHEAPSIDE, LIVERPOOL"); sluice wheel; various pieces of additional machinery including a grain separator, a scalper (grader) and a smutter (cleaner); right-hand wing with ground floor stable (now washroom), grain store above, and grain drier at rear with brick-vaulted oven and refractory-brick drying floor above. Clun Mill formerly had an external undershot paddle wheel to the South-east, but was altered to its present form in 1850 under the direction of John Poundley, the engineer responsible for work on the Leighton Estate (Montgomeryshire). The mill ceased working in 1926. B.O.E., Powys, Pp.117-9.

Listing NGR: SO3035881265

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of Wales: Powys, (1979), 117-9

National Grid Reference: SO 30358 81265

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 02:33:07.

End of official listing