LYCHGATE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054471
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
LYCHGATE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCHGATE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:44:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCHGATE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clun
National Grid Reference:
SO 30038 80617

Details

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. CHURCH STREET (South side)

15/83 Lychgate approximately 25 21.3.68 metres to North of Church of St. George [formerly listed as Churchyard porch (Church of St George)]

GV II

Lychgate. 1723 (churchwardens' accounts), dismantled 1841, re- erected in circa 1881 and restored 1956. Timber framed on low coursed limestone rubble walls; graded stone slate roof, gabled on all sides with circa 1881 moulded barge boards and finials. Square plan. Framing: close studded sides with central rail, blocked below and open above; large curved arch - braces to entrances at North and South; trusses in gables with vertical struts to collar and quatre- foiled panels, Central pair of circa 1881 wooden gates. After its dismantling in 1841 it was re-erected at the gateway to Handcauseway (Cf . Cranage) before being returned to its original location in about 1881. Despite restoration in 1956, it is included as a faithful copy and for group value. Cranage, Vol. 5, P.442-4; Brief notes on St, George's Church, Clun; N.M.R.

Listing NGR: SO3003880617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257180
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 442-4
Other
Brief Notes on St Georges Church Clun,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08707/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Joan Gilbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].