CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1054512

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, LYDHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:12:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, LYDHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lydham

National Grid Reference: SO 33563 91065

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 39 SW LYDHAM C.P. LYDHAM

2/164 Church of The Holy Trinity

21/3/68 GV II*

Parish church. C13, restored in 1642, 1885, and 1891-2. Coursed and random rubble with slate roofs. Nave, lower chancel, and south porch. Parapeted gable end to east and gabled bellcote to west with twin arched openings. Nave: south side: chamfered arched doorway to left with hoodmould and 6-panelled door; gabled porch with arched entrance and side benches within; central cusped 2-light window with hoodmould and carved stops; cusped lancet to right. North side: 2-light circa 1885 window in a C14 style with hoodmould and uncarved stops. West end: cusped 2-light circa 1885 window with hoodmould and uncarved stops; wall above thickened to support bellcote and forming hood over window. Chancel: south side: 2 buttresses; one-light square headed cusped window to left, and one-light square headed window to right with cusped ogee tracery; 2 buttresses to north and later lean-to shed; east end: 3-light C19 window with reticulated quatrefoil tracery and hoodmould with uncarved stops. Interior: restored C15 three-bay nave roof with struts from arch-braced collars, double purlins, and windbraces; probably C15 arch- braced single framed chancel roof. Fittings include: cut down C17 box pews; plain C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with gadrooned frieze; octagonal stone font with chamfered stem on step; C17 panelling on east wall of chancel with some arched panels, gadrooning, and guilloche ornament; hatchment on south wall of chancel. Cranage, Part 5, Pp. 416-7; N.Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, P.192; Kelly's Directory 1913, P.145.

Listing NGR: SO3356391065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 257079

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 146-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 192
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1913), 145

End of official listing