This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROVERIES HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROVERIES HALL

List entry Number: 1054514

Location

ROVERIES HALL, OWL'S LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lydham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257084

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 39 SW LYDHAM C.P. OWL'S LANE (north side)

2/170 Roveries Hall (formerly listed as The Roveries) 1/12/51 GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Roveries. House. 1810, by John Hiram Haycock for John Oakeley as an enlargement of an earlier house. Stuccoed limestone rubble with hipped slate roofs. Regency villa style. 2 storeys. Plinth, deep eaves and 7 brick ridge stacks. South-west front: 4 bays; glazing bar sashes, tripartite with recessed segmental heads in outer bays on ground floor, and central 2-bay 2-storey bow. South-east front: 3 bays, ground floor to left blank; central pair of half-glazed doors, ashlar porch with unfluted Greek Doric columns and pilasters, and full entablature with lead top. Projecting lower hipped-roofed circa C18 wing to right. Interior: entrance hall with semi-circular end walls and panelled plaster ceiling; double height top-lit staircase hall and dog-leg staircase with stick balusters; fireplace in The Drawing Room with reeded architraves, and doors with reeded architraves. The Panelled Room, ground floor to right at rear: a post-war introduction from a London house. Raised and fielded panelling with dado and moulded cornice; fireplace with lugged architrave, central carved shell panel, flanking carved acanthus, egg and dart enriched cornice; panelled overmantel with eared architrave, shell above and flanking husk garlands; flanking semi-circular arched buffets; 6-panelled door with architrave, and doorcase with acanthus frieze and broken triangular pediment. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, (John Murray), 1978, P.468; Salop Records Office, Specification and estimate, 1079, Box 13.

Listing NGR: SO3235592150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 468

National Grid Reference: SO 32355 92150

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:52:27.

End of official listing