THE STATION HOUSE AND THE STATION BUNGALOW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054541

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: THE STATION BUNGALOW, PLOWDEN

Statutory Address: THE STATION HOUSE, PLOWDEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STATION HOUSE AND THE STATION BUNGALOW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 07:31:11.

Location

Statutory Address: THE STATION BUNGALOW, PLOWDEN

Statutory Address: THE STATION HOUSE, PLOWDEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lydbury North

National Grid Reference: SO3814587612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 38 NE; 6/128

LYDBURY NORTH C.P., PLOWDEN, The Station House and The Station Bungalow

II

Station building and Stationmaster's house, now two houses. Circa 1865. Red brick with grey brick dressings, sandstone cills and lintels, and slate roofs. Shallow H-plan station building to north-west and stationmaster's house to south-east forming L-plan; simplified Tudor Gothic style. One and two storeys. Plinth and decorative pierced bargeboards with finials; stationmaster's house with semi-integral end stack to south-west and external lateral stack to north-west, and station building with stack off-ridge to north-west. Wooden 2- and 3-light cross casements. North-east front: former stationmaster's house to left with gable to front, first floor cross window and ground floor 3-light window; left-hand return front: three windows; slightly projecting to left with gabled semi-dormer; central panelled door with C20 glazed lean-to porch. Former station building slightly projecting to right: projecting gabled wings, that to left with 3-light window, that to right with 2-light casement, and both with slit openings above. Pentice roof over recessed centre with canted bay to right and C20 half-glazed door to left with overlight; VR post box in wall to left. Recessed trefoiled stone panel to rear. C20 lean-to addition to north-west. Plowden was an intermediate station on the former Bishop's Castle Railway (closed 1935) and was probably more elaborate than the others on the line because it also served the Plowden Hall estate (q.v.). The Bishop's Castle Railway was part of an uncompleted scheme to link Craven Arms with Montgomery in 1865; it operated under receivership from 1866 until its closure in 1935, but was never absorbed and remained independant to the end. Edward Griffith, The Bishop's Castle Railway, (Kingfisher Railway Publications, May 1983).

Listing NGR: SO3814587612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 257042

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Griffith, E, The Bishop's Castle Railway, (1983)

End of official listing