TOTTERTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054542
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
TOTTERTON HALL, TOTTERTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOTTERTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:40:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOTTERTON HALL, TOTTERTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lydbury North
National Grid Reference:
SO 36081 87491

Details

SO 38 NE LYDBURY NORTH C.P. TOTTERTON

6/131 Totterton Hall

1/12/51 GV II

Country house. Circa 1814, possibly built or altered by John Carline of Shrewsbury for the Rev. J. Bright. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof, hipped to left. Simple Classical style. 2 storeys. Ashlar plinth, first floor cill bands, moulded brick eaves cornice with dentils; central triangular pedimented gable breaking through eaves with moulded brick verge, and 5 ridge stacks. 2:1:2 bays, centre wider; giant order of pilaster strips with recessed stone capitals, C19 metal cross windows (probably formerly glazing bar sashes) with gauged heads and stone cills. 2 steps to 2 central half-glazed doors with stone architrave; ashlar porch with coupled Roman Doric columns and pilasters supporting half architrave, frieze, cornice and blocking course. South front: 3 bays; centre bay with ground floor tripartite glazing bar sash and open triangular pedimented gable above with moulded brick verge. Picture gallery set back to north: one storey. Plinth, moulded brick cornice with dentils, stone coped parapet and parapeted gable-end to right. 3 bays divided by pilaster strips with cornice breaking forward above. Blind windows with gauged heads and stone cills. Interior: moulded cornices, soffits with paterae at corners, ceiling roses, and panelled doors with reeded architraves; ballroom with graded floor boards; dog-leg staircase with winders and half landing, wrought iron balustrade with moulded wooden rail, and arcaded screen to landing. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, John Murray, 1978, p.187; Shropshire Records Office, 807-612.

Listing NGR: SO3608187491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257045
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 187

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].