ASHTON COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054560

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Statutory Address: 29-43, WELSH STREET

Statutory Address: ASHTON COTTAGE, 27, WELSH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHTON COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 02:17:59.

Location

Statutory Address: 29-43, WELSH STREET

Statutory Address: ASHTON COTTAGE, 27, WELSH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Castle

National Grid Reference: SO3218589064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3289 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. WELSH STREET (south- west side)

11/74 No. 27 (Ashton Cottage) - and Nos. 29-43 (odd) GV II

Houses adapted as row of 9 railway workers' cottages. Probably C17, heavily remodelled circa 1865. Rendered timber frame and slate roof with break in eaves between Nos. 35 and 37, and fish-scale slates on dormers. One storey and attic. 9 gabled semi-dormers with decorated barge boards, finials and 2-light wooden casements; 4 ridge stacks and semi-integral end stack to right. 9-window front; wooden 2- light casements alternating with 4 pairs and one single boarded door with pilastered surrounds, friezes and cornices. These cottages were reputedly remodelled from earlier buildings to provide accommodation for the workers of The Bishop's Castle Railway, opened in 1865.

Listing NGR: SO3218589064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 256987

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing