This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1054571

Location

THE VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishop's Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. -

12/3 The Vicarage -

GV II

Vicarage. Late-C17 with early-C19 remodelling and late-C19 additions. Painted brick with rendered plinth, and plain tile roof with partial catslide over outshut to rear at right. 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, toothed-brick string course, 3 segmental-headed eaves dormers with 2-light casements, and truncated external end stack to left. 7 bays; 16-pane glazing bar sashes, third and fifth on first floor and second, third and fifth on ground floor blocked. 2 late-C19 inserted windows flanking central door with 6 raised and fielded panels and porch with pilasters and hexagonal columns supporting frieze and cornice. Late- Cl9 wing to left at rear, and 3 gabled eaves dormers to right at rear. Interior: late-C17 staircase; rising 2 floors, square well with 3 flights to each floor with landings; moulded closed string, pierced double lyre-shaped splat balusters, deeply moulded grip rail, and square newel posts, that at foot with faceted rectangular panels and bulbous finial; panelled soffit on ground floor with probably introduced carved panel depicting owl and grotesque figure with forked tongue; probably C19 shaped pierced frieze on ground floor with bulbous pendants. The carved staircase panel could be the crest of Walter Waring of Owlbury (q.v. Lydham C.P.) which Cranage states was removed from the church in 1860 (q.v. Cranage, Part 5, p.380). Included because of staircase (c.f. No.23, Welsh Street).

Listing NGR: SO3227388394

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 380

National Grid Reference: SO3227388394

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 03:57:17.

End of official listing