This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HARP HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARP HOUSE

List entry Number: 1054583

Location

HARP HOUSE, 26, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishop's Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256944

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side)

12/34 No. 26 (Harp House) - 28/7/50 GV II House, latterly inn. Early- to mid-C16, refaced and eaves raised probably in late-C18, and extended in mid- to late-C19. Timber framed with herringbone brick nogging to left and rendered to right, and painted limestone rubble plinth; C19 slate and graded stone slate roof with catslide over outshut to right at rear. Probable former open hall of 2 framed bays to right and 2 framed bay cross wing projecting to left. One storey and attic, 2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic to left at near. Brick ridge stack off-centre to right and lateral stack to left of cross wing at rear. Framing: square panels and close studding, decorative herringbone framing, vertical cable moulding, and corner braces. Hall range: 2 first floor late-C20 casements to left; ground floor mid- to late-C19 painted brick and timber framed square bay to right with horizontally sliding sashes to right and 6-light window to left; late-C20 boarded door to left. Cross wing: jettied first floor and gable-end with moulded bressumers and brackets; 2-light C20 attic casement in gable-end and ground floor late-19 twenty-pane glazing bar sash; evidence of blocked first floor window beneath gable jetty. Queen strut truss exposed in gable-end to right. Late-C20 garage block to right. Interior: central raised-cruck truss to hall range. Close studded wall separating hall range and cross wing with wall painting on ground floor in cross wing depicting female figure and flowers etc. No. 26 is reputed to have been The Harp Inn in 1642, though it was probably a house before that date.

Listing NGR: SO3233588607

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 32335 88607

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:21:07.

End of official listing