STABLES AT LINLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054589
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
STABLES AT LINLEY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES AT LINLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:49:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLES AT LINLEY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
More
National Grid Reference:
SO 34658 92958

Details

SO 39 SW MORE C.P. LINLEY

6/10 Stables at Linley Hall

1.12.51 GV II*

Stable block. C.1740 (incorporating parts of an earlier building) with later alterations. By Henry Joynes, architect of Linley Hall (q.v.). Coursed rubble blocks with brick dressings, slate roofs. 4 sides enclosing a rectangular cobbled courtyard. 2 storeys throughout; main facades on east and south. East front. 3:2:3 windows; C19 cross casements, 5 blind on ground floor; slightly projecting central portion rising to pediment with stone modillion cornice; central round-arched entrance with iron-studded double doors and tympanum, stone modillion eaves cornice with parapet above; bell turret with lead covered cupola and weathervane in centre to ridge. South front. 1:2:3:2:1 windows; 6-paned sashes, slightly projecting central portion rising to pediment with stone modillion cornice; central door with Gibbs surround and pediment, further entrances to left and right, pediments on scrolled brackets; bell turret as on east front in centre to ridge. The 2 gables behind to the courtyard are part of an earlier building incorporated (see the straight joints). West front. 3 large round-arched openings, open to centre, those to either side with large radiating fanlights over double doors; glazing bar sashes, one to left hand end, 2 to right; bell turret to centre as on east and south fronts. Plain north front of no architectural interest. Country Life Vol. 130, Sept. 7 1961, No.3366, P.504.

Listing NGR: SO3465892958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
256855
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 7 September, (1961), 504
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].