CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1054604

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 01:59:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ratlinghope

National Grid Reference: SO 40264 96891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 49 NW; 5/44

RATLINGHOPE C.P., RATLINGHOPE, Church of St Margaret

21.03.68

II

Parish church. Medieval origins, rebuilt early C17 and c.1788, restored in mid to late C19 and again more thoroughly in 1904/5. Coursed and uncoursed rubble (largely quartzite to south and local limestone to north), slate roof. Nave and chancel in one with belfry at west end; south porch and lean-to vestry at north-west corner of nave. Nave. two windows on south, early C20 lancets with foliated label-stops to the hoodmoulds; weatherboarded belfry with pyramidal cap and weathervane; in the west wall a tablet records the restoration and re-opening of the church in 1905, below this a wide round headed window, also of 1905. Chancel. One lancet in south wall in same style as those in nave, contemporary 3-light East window. Gabled south porch with segmental arch covers an early C17 round headed doorway; the door itself is nail studded and has the inscription "Anno Domini 1625 made and given by Humphrey Biggs and Tho. Bright then Churchwardens." INTERIOR. Tie- and collar-beam roof in four bays with double purlins, the two western trusses probably being early C17; oak communion table with initials TD CP JW 1844 may in fact be rather older; mid- C18 wrought-iron communion rail and some contemporary oak panelling re-used as wainscoting at the East end and around the walls of the nave. The plain octagonal font comes from Great Hanwood; all the other furnishings and stained glass are of 1905. Until the Dissolution the church served the Augustinian Priory, established here during C12 and which by c.1209 had become a dependent cell of Wigmore Abbey (Herefs.). Cranage, Vol.5 p.424; B.O.E. Pp.234-5.

Listing NGR: SO4026496891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 256889

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 234-5

End of official listing