This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCHYARD WALL AND LYCHGATE AT CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCHYARD WALL AND LYCHGATE AT CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1054642

Location

CHURCHYARD WALL AND LYCHGATE AT CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ruyton-XI-Towns

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RUYTON-XI-TOWNS C.P. CHURCH STREET (north SJ 32 SE side) 8/139 Churchyard wall and lych- - gate at Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Churchyard wall and lych-gate. Churchyard wall. Probably lateC18 or early C19 incorporating earlier stonework. Regularly coursed and dressed and roughly coursed red sandstone rubble with plinth on north side; triangular coping. Steep-banked oval-shaped enclosure, suggestive of an early and perhaps defensive origin, making use of natural fall in ground. Also encloses remains of castle (q.v.), taken into churchyard in 1881. Lych-gate at south-east entrance to churchyard. 1888. Gabled timber framed structure on low red sandstone walls with chamfered coping; machine tile roof with ornamental cresting and cross to centre of ridge. Benches to sides. Billet moulding to tie beams and wooden gates. Included for group value. D.H.S. Cranage,The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 824-5.

Listing NGR: SJ3952622140

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 824-825

National Grid Reference: SJ3952622140

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 02:29:11.

End of official listing