CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054675 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 23:41:19.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 33825 20943
SJ 32 SW; 7/18
KINNERLEY C.P., KINNERLEY
Church of St Mary
Parish church. West tower of c.1600, nave and chancel by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard 1773-4; tower restored 1862 by Revd. E.W.O. Bridgeman; south porch added 1889 during general restoration of 1887-90. Red sandstone blocks; slate roofs with coped verges on carved stone kneelers, except to porch which has machine tiles. Nave, apsidal chancel, west tower and south porch.
Tower: in three stages with diagonal buttresses to north- west and south-west angles. Embattled parapet, moulded string courses and plinth; low pyramidal slate cap with brass weathercock. Restored Perpendicular-style west window of four lights and narrow round-headed windows to first and second stages on south. Two-light Decorated- style windows of 1862 with hoodmoulds and head-stops to belfry. Grotesques and gargoyles to corners of top string course also 1862. Nave in four bays has three broad round-headed windows with boldly projecting keystones on south. Gabled stone porch(1889) in west bay has angle buttresses and pointed outer arch over segmental inner arch with contemporary recessed pointed doorway. North side has three windows like those on south and lunette window to west bay, placed slightly to left of infilled open- pedimented doorway. Moulded eaves cornice on both sides. Apsidal chancel has similar windows on north and south and moulded eaves cornice. Late C19 lean-to boiler house in angle with nave on north.
INTERIOR. King-post roof in five bays to nave. Stilted pointed tower arch with roughly carved capitals is contemporary with tower. Pointed chancel arch (1887-90) with unfinished tooling to corbelled responds. Late C18 painted panelled wooden reredos in chancel has composite pilasters with fluted entablature, rosettes to dosserets and egg and dart moulding to cornice. Semi-circular pediment to centre with carving of cross and letters "IHS" superscribed and urn finials to left and right. Round-headed panels to centre have painted Ten Commandments; panels to left and right with swags above have painted Creed and Lord's Prayer respectively. Oak chest at west end of nave has fleur-de-lys pointed ironwork and inscription "ED: (Edward Davids) CW: (Churchwardens) RF/ (Richard Flledge) 1681". Other fittings and furnishings late C19 or later including stone pulpit of 1870. Stained glass in chancel windows by Tower (1932). MONUMENTS. Chancel, north side: oval-shaped marble medallion surmounted by carving of bishop's mitre with heads of 2 winged cherubim beneath Latin inscription to John Bridgeman, Bishop of Chester: erected by his grandson Sir John Bridgeman in 1719. Chancel, south side: oval wall tablet to Sarah Evans (died 1783); various C18 and C19 wall tablets to members of local families in nave. Benefactors' board dated 1792 in tower (north side) with C19 continuation on south side. B.o.E. pp. 161-2; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 794-5; Colvin (1978), p. 663.
Listing NGR: SJ3382520943
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 663
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 794-795
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 161-162
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing