METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054734
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1977
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, BUXTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 06:17:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, BUXTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
Whaley Bridge
National Grid Reference:
SK 01193 81197

Details

WHALEY BRIDGE BUXTON ROAD 1. 5172 (East Side) Methodist Church and Sunday School SK 0181 1/3 II 2. 3 units, the centre, dated 1821, being the earliest, and the others being the chapel and school room. The centre unit has 3 round-headed windows to the upper floor, cambered arches to the lower floor, with keystones. Arched doorway with keystone and double doors, rectangular fanlight of 4 arched lights. The right-hand wing is the school room, of later C19 date, of 3 storeys with 2 round-headed windows. The left-hand building is the chapel of 1867. The gabled centre, with rusticated quoins, breaks forward slightly. Round-headed window with Gothic glazing bars, 2 lights, in reveal, band at cill above doorway with rusticated surround and round- headed entry. The sides have 1 round-headed window each above 1 with segmental head. The school room to the right and the chapel are included for group value.

Listing NGR: SK0119381197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81874
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01778/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Philip B Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].