This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1054761

Location

THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Gravesham

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5277 HIGH STREET (East Side)

The Town Hall TQ 6474 SE 1/5 23.1.52.

II*

2. This building was erected in 1836 on the site of the earlier Town Hall designed by C Sloane in 1764. It cost £3,000 and was built by the Brighton Architect, Amon Henry Wilds, in imitation of the Parthenon at Athens. Sandstone ashlar. The front has a massive tetrastyle portico of fluted Doric columns with triglyph frieze and small shields of the Arms of Gravesend Borough in the metopes. Pediment above, originally surmounted by the figures of Minerva, Justice and Truth but these were removed in 1949. 3 windows beneath the portico at 1st floor level. On the ground floor 1 window and a wide entrance to an open passage which leads to the Market behind the Town Hall. Recessed portion on each side of the portico containing 1 triple window on ground and 1st floors with pilasters between the lights. The south ground floor window is now blocked. Triglyph frieze and parapet above these flanking portions. Glazing bars intact. Over the portico is the inscription: - "Rebuilt 1836 in the Mayoralties of M Troughton and R Oakes Esquires. A H Wilds Architect", and over the entrance to the passage:- Re-constructed during the Mayoralty of George H Edmonds Esq 1882-3". The inside was further altered in 1898.

Listing NGR: TQ6477974271

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 64779 74271

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 01:48:06.

End of official listing