GRAND UNION CANAL LITTLE BRAUNSTON LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AND SPILLWAY AT BRIDGE NUMBER 3

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054856
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
GRAND UNION CANAL LITTLE BRAUNSTON LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AND SPILLWAY AT BRIDGE NUMBER 3

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAND UNION CANAL LITTLE BRAUNSTON LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AND SPILLWAY AT BRIDGE NUMBER 3
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 07:46:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAND UNION CANAL LITTLE BRAUNSTON LOCK KEEPERS COTTAGE AND SPILLWAY AT BRIDGE NUMBER 3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Braunston
National Grid Reference:
SP 54684 65993

Details

BRAUNSTON GRAND UNION CANAL SP56NW Little Braunston 4/77 Lock Keepers Cottage and spillway at bridge No.3

- II

Cottage. c.1800. Remodelled late C19. Brick, tile roof, brick stack to right. T-plan. Two storeys; one bay. Doorway on left has plank door and wood lintel continued over 2-light casement window to right. One-light casement window with plain brick frame to first floor. Extension to left, brick, slate roof, one storey, one bay has one-light transomed window with wood lintel. Extension to rear, brick, tile roof, central stack. One storey, 2 bays. Brick arch to spill-way below with blue brick adjoining walls flanking channel from the canal Two 2-light C20 casement windows with brick frames to ground and first floor. Interior not inspected. The Grand Junction Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1793, The Braunston section was complete by 1796. In 1929 it was taken over by the Grand Union Canal Company and the name was changed. (A.H. Faulkner; The Grand Junction Canal, 1972).

Listing NGR: SP5468465993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360968
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Faulkner, A H , The Grand Junction Canal, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02629/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].