Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054866.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 12:33:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 74750 71217



15/84 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 02/11/54 - I

Church. C7, C10, C13 and C19. Ironstone, lias rubble with C19 plain tiled roof. Nave, chancel with apse, south chapel and west tower. Polygonal apse: c.1865 with 3 single-light round-headed windows. C7 work at base and in north wall. Blocked C7 arched openings from nave to former ambulatory at semi- basement level either side of apse. C7 single-light windows above. South chapel: C13 has two 2-light windows with intersecting tracery. Similar 2-light windows to west and 3-light to east. Nave, south elevation: 4-bay round-headed arcade C7 each with double voissoir of reused Roman tiles. Plain rectangular rubble piers. Western-most arcade has C12 round-headed entrance with moulded capitals and base and studded and ribbed door. C19 round-headed windows in remaining arcade. 3 single-light C7 round headed clerestory windows between nave arcades. Nave and chancel, north elevation, similar to south elevation with C7 arcade and clerestory. Two 3-light C14 windows with reticulated tracery to chancel. Continuous gabled roof to nave and chancel with C14 crenellated parapet restored in C19. West tower of 2 stages, lower stage C7 with some Roman tiles in the masonry. Large C10 semi-circular stair turret on west side projecting into second stage with plain rectangular window openings and flat roof. Some herring-bone coursing. Mainly C14 second stage with 2-light ogee-headed windows on each face. C14 broach spire, ashlar with pinnacles and two tiers of lucarnes. Interior: Chancel has C7 round-headed arch to apse with voussoir of reused Roman tiles. 2-bay C13 arcade to south chapel with chamfered arches. Painted screen, formerly rood screen, in east arcade, restored C20. Nave, 4-bay blocked arcades as described externally with voussoirs of Roman tiles. Large C14 double-chamfered chancel arch. C7 arched opening to tower with similar blocked opening above having C10 triple arched opening above divided by baluster shafts with trapizoidal capitals. C19 roof with king post and tie beam. Stained glass to nave windows on south side of nave c.1888. Reliquary adjacent to pulpit, probably c.1300 has small cusped arch under crocketted gable. Sculpture in west jamb of south door, probably C9, depicting eagle of St. John. Monument C13 in south chapel, cross legged knight. History: Monastery C7 thought to be of Basilica plan, devastated at Danish invasion 876, converted to parish church C10 when original western entrance formed into tower. C13 south aisle, porch and chancel removed during extensive restoration of 1865. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.124).

Listing NGR: SP7475071217


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 124


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10835/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].