THE WILLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1054995
Date first listed:
28-May-1987
Statutory Address:
THE WILLOWS, CHAPEL LAWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WILLOWS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 16:15:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE WILLOWS, CHAPEL LAWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bucknell
National Grid Reference:
SO3541973942

Details

SO 37 SE; 12/36

BUCKNELL C.P., CHAPEL LAWN ROAD (west side), Bucknell, The Willows

GV

II

House, now partly used as post office. C14 or C15 core with later additions and alterations, considerably remodelled c.1920. Roughcast brick and timber frame of cruck construction with rendered brick addition; slate roof. Original plan probably an open-hall house of three cruck-framed bays, floored over in C17, eaves raised and considerably altered c.1920. Two storeys. Three early C20 casements directly below eaves, five casements to ground floor, three to left of C20 porch with half-glazed door (left mid-C20) and two to right. Gable facing road is c.1920 addition: two segmental-headed windows on first floor; wide shuttered shop front to ground floor with segmental-headed doorway and window to right. Red brick ridge stack to right of original part and C20 integral red brick end stack to left. Subsidiary external lateral stack to left wall of C20 addition. Truncated cruck truss exposed to left gable end.

INTERIOR. Two true cruck trusses, in addition to that exposed to left gable end, survive, both chamfered with collars plus arch-bracing to right truss. Massive chamfered spine beam and cross beams to ground floor. Jacobean overmantel to fireplace beneath ridge stack said to have been brought from Bucknell Cottage (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SO3541973942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257540
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08128/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bryan Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].