This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1055005

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clunbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257568

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLUNBURY C.P. CLUNTON SO 38 SW 3/63 - Church of St. Mary GV II

Chapel-of-ease, 1870. Regularly coursed and dressed rock-faced limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roof with ornamental cresting and iron cross to east gable end. Single cell comprising nave and chancel in one with west bellcote; north porch. North side has broad cusped lancet to east and paired broad cusped lancets to east of pointed doorway under bracketed gabled porch; continuous moulded cill band. Gabled west bellcote with single cusped opening housing bell. East window of 3 stepped broad cusped lancets. Interior: trussed rafter roof to nave and chancel; ashlar banding to rubblestone walls. Fittings and furnishings nearly all contemporary with construction of church including small octagonal font and 2 sedilia and piscina in south wall. Originally a dependent chapelry of Clun, Clunton became a chapel-of-ease to Clunbury when that became a separate parish from Clun in 1341. It is not clear, however, whether the present building occupies the site of the medieval chapel. D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5. (1901), p. 395.

Listing NGR: SO3353381346

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 395

National Grid Reference: SO 33533 81346

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 04:21:05.

End of official listing