BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055006
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 22:22:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAPTIST CHAPEL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Worthen with Shelve
National Grid Reference:
SJ 38037 02072

Details

WORTHEN C.P. LORDSHILL SJ 30 SE

6/137 Baptist Chapel and - attached cottage

- II

Baptist chapel and attached cottage. Dated 1833, re-built 1873 with later alterations. Stucco with plain tile roof. Chapel: gable front; fixed-light round-headed windows to either side of gabled porch with inner 6-panel double doors and one window above to centre; 2 similar windows to 'ritual' east end. Datestone with inscription 'Erected/AD 1833/Rebuilt/1873' to front with pointed finial above to gable. Cottage: probably c.1873; one storey and attic, toothed eaves cornice; plate- glass sashes to left and right of central entrance and to gabled half dormers directly above; 4-panel door with bracketed lean-to hood; rendered internal end stack to right. Interior: majority of fittings late C19; benches, wainscot panelling and reader's desk all of this date but 2 cast-iron columns supporting west gallery may be original. Round- arched panel behind desk supported by 2 pairs of consoles has the painted words "Serve the Lord with Gladness"; circular moulded panels to roof. 4-panel door with rectangular overlight in left wall leads to lean- to vestry. The cottage was formerly the manse and the chapel is described in the work of Mary Webb, the Shropshire novelist. Its re-building dates to the period of extensive improvements at the neighbouring Snailbeach Lead Mine.

Listing NGR: SJ3803702072

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257468
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16783/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].