This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1055026

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Worthen with Shelve

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257417

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHELVE C.P. SHELVE SO 39 NW

9/21 Church of All Saints -

21.3.68

GV II

Parish church. 1839, replacing medieval structure. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roof and coped verges. Nave and chancel in one with thin west tower; lancet style. Tower: unbuttressed in 3 stages with plain corbel table above belfry, coped parapet; 3 segmental- headed openings with voussoirs to belfry and similar window with thin Y-tracery to second stage on west side; segmental-headed west doorway with voussoirs and projecting keystone. 3 windows to south wall of nave and 2 to north (latter with rubble voussoirs instead of ashlar surrounds), all broad lancets without hoodmoulds. Flat-headed east window has 3 cusped lights. Interior: plain and simple with majority of fittings and furnishings late C19; pulpit, reading desk and panelling at east end made up from C17 pews in former church. Plaster ceiling of c.1839 but cambered tie beam above altar rail comes from previous church. Crudely carved font reputed to be C13 but the fragments of partly medieval painted glass around the borders of the nave window are said to have been brought from another church. B.O.E. pp.242-3; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.552.

Listing NGR: SO3364099034

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 552
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 242-3

National Grid Reference: SO 33640 99034

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 05:52:31.

End of official listing