CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055072

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, THE COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 15:28:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, THE COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bayston Hill

National Grid Reference: SJ 48720 08842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 NE BAYSTON HILL C.P. THE COMMON (north side)

5/7 Christ Church -

- II

Parish church. 1843 by Edward Haycock with chancel of 1886. Uncoursed conglomerate rubble to nave and chancel with sandstone ashlar dressings and to top 2 stages of tower, machine tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower and south-east vestry. Tower: thin and unbuttressed in 4 stepped stages; blocked lancet to second stage and 4 lancet openings to top belfry with crenellated parapet; nail-studded west door in painted arch. Buttressed nave in 3 bays has broad lancets with hoodmoulds on north and moulded eaves cornice. Short one-bay chancel, east window of paired lancets with circular opening above, moulded eaves cornice; lean-to vestry on south. Interior: not inspected, but said to have an elaborately trussed roof and a late C19 octagonal font with quatrefoil panelling. The parish was formed in 1844 from part of Condover and St Julian's, Shrewsbury. D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shrewsbury (1894-1908), p.971.

Listing NGR: SJ4872008842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259308

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , The Churches of Shrewsbury, (1894-1908), 971

End of official listing