HOME FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055097

Date first listed: 17-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: HOME FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOME FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 01:10:32.

Location

Statutory Address: HOME FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Atcham

National Grid Reference: SJ 54295 10118

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 51 SW ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK

3/36 Home Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. C15 with C17 additions, and C18 and late C19 alterations and additions. Timber framed, refaced and extended in red brick; plain tile roofs. L-plan; former open hall house of 3 framed bays with C17 gabled wings and C18 additions to rear. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. Plinth, plat band; external brick end stack to left and stack behind ridge off- centre to right. Central first-floor late C19 two-light wooden casement and C20 three-light metal casement to left; C19 ground-floor 3-light segmental-headed wooden casement to right; central 6-panelled door (top 2 panels glazed) with panelled architrave and early C19 gabled lattice porch. One storey lean-to to right with 2-light segmental-headed casement to front. Straight joint in brickwork indicates eaves have been raised. 2 gabled wings at rear have exposed collar and tie-beam trusses with queen- struts, that to right with rectangular datestone inscribed: "WC/1657"; C18 one-storey service wing at right-angles to rear with external brick end stack. Interior: crown post roof with cambered tie-beams, down-curved crown post braces, fragmentary collar purlin, and collar purlin braces; smoke blackening; timber frame visible on first floor with corner braces; floors and stack probably inserted in late C16 or C17 forming baffle-entry plan house; ground-floor room to left with early C18 bolection-moulded panelling and moulded cornice; dining room with mid-C18 raised and fielded panelling with dado rail, moulded cornice, and early C19 fireplace; kitchen window to front has early C18 fluted wooden reveals; C17 and C18 boarded and panelled doors with L-hinges. The farmhouse is all that remains of the settlement of Berwick Maviston which was incorporated into Attingham Park in 1798. R.W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, Vol.VII, London (1958), Pp.387-98; National Trust, Attingham Park Estate Venacular Building Survey.

Listing NGR: SJ5429510118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259262

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Attingham Park Estate Vernacular Building Survey
Eyton, R W, Antiquities of Shropshire, (1958), 387-98
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

End of official listing