Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055134
Date first listed: 27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address: GRAFTON HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055134 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2019 at 01:54:01.
Statutory Address: GRAFTON HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 43104 19012
BOMERE HEATH C.P. GRAFTON
SJ 41 NW
5/90 Grafton House
Farmhouse, now house. Early to mid-C17, enlarged in the early C18. C19 addition at rear. Timber framed with red brick nogging, extended in red brick. C20 asbestos slate roofs. Framing: small square panels (5 from sole plate to wall plate) with long straight tension braces. Two framed bays with L-plan C18 addition to south. Two storeys and gable- lit attic. C18 south block: toothed brick eaves cornice and external brick end stacks with toothed-brick caps. 2 bays; segmental-headed glazing bar sashes with stone cills (refenestrated from 4 bays - see blocked windows). C20 lean-to conservatory and one-storey brick block to left. Right-hand gable end with ground-floor segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sash to right, early C19 wooden cross window to first floor with segmental relieving arch, and 2-light leaded wooden attic casement. Left-hand gable end with first-floor imitation glazing bar sash and 2-light attic casement. Two-storey wing at rear. East front has first-floor leaded wooden cross window with segmental relieving arch and C18 door with 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed), 2-part leaded rectangular overlight, pegged oak frame with double-quirked beaded corners, and flat hood on shaped brackets. Boarded door to west. C17 north block: jettied gables with ovolo-moulded and stopped tie-beams and carved scrolled end brackets, trusses with 2 collars and queen struts, and large central brick ridge stack consisting of 4 square shafts. Gable ends with C20 two-light wooden attic casements and ground- and first-floor 3-light wooden casements. C20 French casements to west. C19 two-storey brick wing to rear with external brick end stack. Interior: C17 wing has pairs of chamfered ceiling beams with ogee stops,and open fireplace in right-hand ground-floor room has chamfered wooden lintel with ogee stops. Circa 1700 square-well oak staircase in central link block, rising to attic, with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, square newel posts with moulded caps and turned baluster-shaped foot newel. Circa 1700 two-panelled ground-floor door with L-hinges. Reused C17 panelling in C19 rear wing, with carving and fluting, and inscribed "TE. DOMINE.SPERAVI./TA VA", possibly removed from elsewhere in the house or brought in, perhaps from a church.
Listing NGR: SJ4310419012
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 259152
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing