Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055182
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House, Holyhead House, Bicton, Shrewsbury, SY3 8EQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 03:47:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House, Holyhead House, Bicton, Shrewsbury, SY3 8EQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bicton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 44152 14739

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 27/03/2018

SJ 41 SW SJ 4415 1474 9/13

BICTON CP Holyhead Road Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House

(Formerly listed as Milestone approximately 350 metres to north west of Bicton House, A5 (T) (south-west side))

II Milestone erected 1826-1827. Thomas Telford, engineer. Tooled limestone with shallow-pointed top and chamfered corners. Cast-iron plate with superscribed serif lettering: "HOLY-/HEAD/ 103-M/SALOP /3M - 6F".

This is one of a series of milestones alongside the A5 (Holyhead Road). Telford was the engineer for the Holyhead Road improvements which were carried out in the 15 years after 1817.

Listing NGR: SJ4415214739

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259073
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rolt, L T C, Thomas Telford, (1958), 110-129

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01611/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Percy Marsh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].