DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF DINTHILL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055183
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF DINTHILL HALL, A458 (T)

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF DINTHILL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 17:34:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES TO SOUTH WEST OF DINTHILL HALL, A458 (T)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bicton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 42799 12683

Details

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side) SJ 41 SW SJ 4280 1269 9/17 Dovecote approx. 25 metres - to south-west of Dinthill Hall

GV II

Dovecote. Circa 1734. Red brick with pyramidal slate roof. Octagonal plan. Two storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Central wooden glover consisting of round-arched arcade with moulded architraves, imposts and keystones, moulded cornice, and ogee lead cap with weathervane. Segmental- headed loft openings to east and south-west, that to south-west widened in late C20. Segmental-headed boarded door to north. Interior: brick nesting boxes. Chamfered ceiling beam. Loft not inspected. Forrest refers to a weathervane dated 1870. This was not evident at the time of survey (January 1987) but it suggests that the glover might have been renewed at that time. The dovecote forms part of the group of farmbuildings to the west of Dinthill Hall (q.,v.), also including a barn and stables (q.v.). H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners (1924), p. 29.

Listing NGR: SJ4279912683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259077
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 29

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01611/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Percy Marsh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].