Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055198.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 03:51:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 37129 06838



9/101 Upper Lake Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. Probably C15, partly rebuilt and extended in the mid-C17; mid-to late C19 alterations and mid-C20 refenestration. Timber framed (partly of cruck construction) with rendered and brick infill on coursed sandstone rubble plinth; south-east block mostly pebbledashed; corrugated iron roof to north-west and hipped slate roof to south-east. 2 framed bays of former open hall house to north-west; large partial rebuilding of upper end and L-shaped addition to south-east. One storey and attic with addition of 2 storeys and attic. Framing: irregular wall framing to C15 part; square-panelled framing to C17 part. North-east front; right-hand block: gabled dormer off-centre to left with 2-light C20 metal casement, ground-floor 2-light C20 metal casement off-centre to left and boarded door to left; scotch to central frame post; right-hand return front has exposed full cruck trusses with 2 tie-beams and collar (apex type not noted) - metal casement off-centre to left and boarded door off- centre to right; Left-hand block: brick ridge stack off-centre to right and integral brick end stack to left; 2 gabled dormers with 2-light wooden casements; 2-window front; 3-light C20 metal casements; central door with 4 raised and fielded panels and bracketed hood; partly rendered lean-to addition in front to right; right-hand gable end has exposed framing and collar and tie beam truss with v-struts; 2-window left-hand return front with gabled dormer to left; catslide roof over brick outshut at rear. Interior: the one storey and attic block can be interpreted as one bay of the former open hall plus a short lower bay (now open to the roof); or as 2 bays of the former open hall; central full cruck truss with arch-braced collar, small collar high up, and Alcock apex-type B; pairs of purlins and wind braces. The rest of the interior of the house was not inspected but is known to contain a C17 staircase with splat balusters and a first-floor C17 corner fireplace with a carved overmantel. Upper Lake was a medieval freehold and was held by the Treves family between 1540 and 1681. V.C.H. Vol. VIII, p. 306; Alcock, pp. 96 and 145; C. Ryan, The evolution of the peasant house in Shropshire.Medieval - c. 1850. The Parish of Westbury, Unpublished thesis (October 1979), Manchester University, pp. 92-3.

Listing NGR: SJ3712906838


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 306
Ryan, C, The Evolution of the Peasant House in Shropshire Medieval c1850 The Parish of Westbury92-3
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981), 96 & 145


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14468/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].