ENGLISH LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055210

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: ENGLISH LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGLISH LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:04:47.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGLISH LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

National Grid Reference: SJ 35787 14346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3514 ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY CARDESTON C.P. 12/32 English Lodge -

GV II

Entrance lodge. Dated 1849, probably by Thomas Jones (1794-1859) of Chester. Roughly squared and coursed Alberbury breccia with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. T-plan; Tudor Gothic style. One storey and attic. Chamfered plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, ridge cresting, and parapeted gables with chamfered stone coping, moulded kneelers, and globe finials; external lateral brick stack to east consisting of 2 octagonal brick shafts with ashlar bases and moulded caps, and external end stack in apex of north gable consisting of circular brick shaft with octagonal ashlar base and moulded cap. Double-chamfered stone mullioned windows with Tudor-arched lights (some retaining cast-iron small-paned casements) and returned hoodmoulds. West (entrance) front: ground-floor one-light window to right; central 2-storey gabled porch with one-light attic window, boarded door with chamfered Tudor arch, moulded square surround, and returned hoodmould with plain stops; ground-floor one-light windows in return fronts; south front: canted stone oriel window to attic with moulded cill string and cornice, chamfered base and top, and date; 3-light ground-floor window. Gable end to north with 2-light windows on each floor. One-storey lean-to at rear. This is the south-east entrance lodge to Loton Park, where Thomas Jones carried out work c.1830 and c.1838.

Listing NGR: SJ3578714346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 258937

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing