Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055212

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: WELSH LODGE


Ordnance survey map of WELSH LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 16:41:35.


Statutory Address: WELSH LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

National Grid Reference: SJ3530014630




Entrance lodge. Dated 1832, probably by Thomas Jones (1794-1859) of Chester. Roughly squared and coursed Alberbury breccia rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. Irregular L-plan; Tudor Gothic style. Basement, one storey and attic. Plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gables with chamfered coping, moulded kneelers, and obelisk finials at feet and apexes; stack in valley and external gable end to west, each with dentil brick cornice and paired star-shaped brick shafts. Double-chamfered stone mullioned windows with lozenge-pattern cast iron casements and returned hoodmoulds. South-east (entrance) front: one-light casement to left; gabled porch to right with one-light windows to sides and door with 6 raised and fielded panels and chamfered Tudor arch; one-storey wing to right with 3-light window to front. South-west front: gabled wing projecting to right with 2-light attic casement and ground-floor canted bay with plain tiled roof; probable staircase tower set back in angle to left with date shield in gable and ground-floor one-light window; wing to left with ground-floor one-light window. Interior not inspected. This is the south-west entrance lodge to Loton Park where Thomas Jones carried out work c.1830 and c.1838.

Listing NGR: SJ3530014630


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 258940

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing