GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055238
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
GRANGE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRANGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 20:05:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRANGE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alberbury with Cardeston
National Grid Reference:
SJ3727611584

Details

SJ 31 SE 5/4

ALBERBURY WITH CARDESTON C.P. Grange Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably late C15 or early C16, circa 1600 and C18 alterations and additions, and mid-to late C19 remodelling. Timber framed, of cruck construction, external walls rebuilt in painted coursed sandstone rubble and brick; asbestos slate roof. Former open hall house of 3 or 4 framed bays with later additions; inserted stack forming baffle-entry plan. 2 storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice; brick ridge stack off-centre to left and two C19 integral brick lateral stacks at rear. 5 windows to first floor and 2 to ground floor; late C19 wooden and wooden-framed metal casements, segmental-headed on ground floor; blocked ground-floor window to left. Early C19 door off-centre to left with 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed), moulded architrave and late C19 gabled brick porch with chamfered segmental arch; mid-to late C19 four-panelled half-glazed door to right with C19 painted brick porch; C20 garage entrance to left. Interior: 4 full cruck trusses; c.1600 inserted floor in 2 central bays, and c.1600 inserted stack with large open fireplace. Alcock, p.143.

Listing NGR: SJ3727611584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981), 143

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].