WATTLESBOROUGH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055239

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: WATTLESBOROUGH HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATTLESBOROUGH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:21:59.

Location

Statutory Address: WATTLESBOROUGH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alberbury with Cardeston

National Grid Reference: SJ 35517 12612

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 31 SE ALBERBURY WITH - CARDESTON C.P. 5/5 Wattlesborough Hall

29.1.52

GV II

Farmhouse. Soon after c.1711. Roughly squared and coursed red and grey sandstone with red sandstone dressings; rendered left-hand gable end; graded slate roof. 2 storeys. Plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end to left with stone coping and moulded kneelers; integral brick end stack to left. 5 bays; C19 wooden cross-windows with triple- keyed lintels; central C20 glazed door with heavy rusticated surround and 5-keyed lintel. Right-hand ground-floor window is probably a former doorway (see straight joints and brickwork below cill). 3 windows at rear; raised central first-floor staircase window and blocked stone cross-window off-centre to right. C20 brown brick one-storey addition at rear. Interior: C18 three-flight staircase with winders, rising to attic: closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail and beaded square bottom newel post. The house was built adjoining the remains of Wattlesborough Castle (qv) and both were occupied as one dwelling until the late C19. There is an engraving in the farmhouse showing the castle with a probably medieval wing on the site of the present C18 building so the latter probably incorporates reused materials and might even be a thorough remodelling. County A.M. No 126. V.C.H., vol VIII, pp, 197-8; B.O.E., pp. 33-4; D.F. Renn, Norman Castles in Britain (1971), p.341.

Listing NGR: SJ3551712612

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 258910

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 197-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 33-4
Renn, D F, Norman Castles in Britain, (1971), 341

End of official listing