CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055265.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 23:05:32.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Leighton and Eaton Constantine
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 61281 05144
LEIGHTON AND EATON LEIGHTON
SJ 60 NW
2/89 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1714-16 but incorporating medieval plan and fabric, restored mid- to late C19. C18 red brick on coursed sandstone plinth (probably medieval), plain tile roofs with coped verges. Nave, chancel, west belfry, south porch and south-west vestry. Nave: in 2 bays; south side has one late C19 two-light trefoil-headed window with cusped multifoils and trefoils above, C18 gabled porch and contemporary gabled vestry adjoining to west have round-headed doorways (blind to vestry) and pointed cast-iron windows to sides; north side has 2 round-headed windows (c.1714), western with its original Y-tracery; tall narrow multi-paned round-headed west window has similar small opening above; weatherboarded belfry probably late C18 but considerably restored late C20, has twin round-headed openings (?C19) to north, south and west sides, pyramidal roof. Chancel: one late C19 narrow round-headed window on south with blocked segmental-headed C18 doorway to west; late C19 east window of 3 stepped round-headed lights with narrow round-arched window above; north wall blind. Interior: most striking feature is that the walls are of uncoursed sandstone rubble showing that the C18 brick on exterior is in fact only the encasement of a medieval fabric; cambered south doorway with ledged plank door, C18 coved plaster ceiling; west gallery (also c.1714), supported on wooden posts, has elegant turned balusters; plain round-headed chancel arch flanked by C18 hatchment to south and royal coat-of-arms to north; late C18 urn-shaped font on moulded stone pillar, contemporary hexagonal pulpit and late C19 stained glass in east window, restored C17 communion table. Monuments: in nave; cast-iron floor tablet to William Browne (died 1696) and another (dated 1677) with inscription panels removed; in chancel (south side), late C13 cross-legged stone effigy of knight, probably a member of the Leighton family, retaining traces of paint and with feet resting on a lion; north side, large alabaster tomb chest with incised top slab to William Leighton (died 1520) and wife; large C18 wall memorials to members of the Kynnersley and Leighton families that to Elizabeth Leighton (died 1754) by William Baker; in the centre of the north wall a prominent memorial to Thomas Kynnersley (died 1843), substantial pedestal with coat-of-arms and Greek key ornament to top, surmounted by draped urn, signed by J. Evan Thomas; another mid-C18 wall memorial to south of chancel arch in nave; C18 stone texts (one reciting Ten Commandments) hang on nave north and south walls and in the porch is a wooden board recording benefactions to the church; slab on north wall of nave commemorating Henry Binnell, vicar (died 1717), formerly below east window outside. A priest is recorded at Leighton in Domesday. B.o.E., p.165; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905), Pp.596-7 and Appendix Pp.995-6; Colvin, p.84.
Listing NGR: SJ6128105144
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 84
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 596-7
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 995-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 165
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing