LEIGHTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055268

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: LEIGHTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEIGHTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address: LEIGHTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Leighton and Eaton Constantine

National Grid Reference: SJ6123105123

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGHTON AND EATON CONSTANTINE C.P.

SJ 60 NW 2/98 29.1.52 GV

LEIGHTON Leighton Hall II

Country house. 1778, probably incorporating parts of an earlier house, considerably extended and re-modelled 1887-8 by W. Bowdler of Shrewsbury for T.F. Kynnersley. Red brick with ashlar dressings and rusticated angle quoins, plain tile hipped roof behind coped eaves parapet, red brick ridge and end stacks. 2 storeys and attics; south front: now the main entrance front; 3:2:3 bays with full-height canted bay projections to left and right, glazing bar sashes with segmental heads (glazing bars removed to bottom of windows on ground floor); late C19 classical-style portico linking canted bays has an arcade of 3 elliptical arches, surmounted by balustrade with pedimented Kynnersley coat-of-arms to centre; 2 late C18 lead downpipes in angles with canted bays; left and right returns each have 2 late C19 canted bay projections similar to C18 canted bays on front. Late C18 service range to rear includes 2-storey rectangular hip-roofed block with top-lit pavilion; long 2-storey 8-bay late C19 and C20 range behind. An inscription to right of late C19 glazed doors to south front records the re-building of the house for T.F. Kynnersley. Interior: considerably altered and re-modelled 1887-8; oak staircase said to be of this date but the rectangular oak panelling re-used in the entrance hall is probably C17 or earlier (see also the cock's head hinges to the panelled inner door); Jacobean wooden overmantel in room to right of entrance has been brought from elsewhere and there are said to be panelled bedrooms on first floor; late C18 shutters to windows of right-hand canted bay on south front. There is a photograph of the house before 1887-8 onp.95 of Peter Reid's Burke's and Savill's Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980); Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), Pp.201-3; B.o.E., p.165.

Listing NGR: SJ6123105123

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 258883

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 95

End of official listing