BELSWARDYNE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1055283
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
BELSWARDYNE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELSWARDYNE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 16:30:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELSWARDYNE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cressage
National Grid Reference:
SJ6027803283

Details

SJ 60 SW; 5/29

CRESSAGE C.P., Belswardyne Hall

GV

II*

Manor house, now farmhouse. Circa 1540, re-modelled late C18 with extensive additions of c.1890. Red brick (English bond) and timber frame to original part with red brick to later additions, plain tile roofs. Originally an L-plan with cross-wing to south-west projecting to south-east; late C18 staircase turret in angle between and prominent additions of c.1890 to north-east and rear. Two storeys and attics with floor bands, cellars; south-east elevation: 2:1:5 windows, all late C19 wooden mullion and transom windows except glazing bar sash to staircase turret, gauged heads (second and fourth windows from left on first floor of hall range blind and painted in imitation); gables to hall range and staircase turret linked by continuous coped stone parapet; prominent lateral stacks to left return of cross-wing have blue brick diaper patterns and three attached rebated shafts of star section (one of those to left replaced by C19 shaft); inserted between is a full-height gable (c.1890) with Classical-style entrance porch; stack to back wall of hall range also has three shafts of star section with others in imitation to late C19 additions.

INTERIOR: oak-panelled room to front of cross-wing (small rectangular panels with applied Ionic reeded pilasters) has chamfered stone fireplace with incised armorial shields to left and right; also in same room a very fine late C16 plaster ceiling having a variety of heraldic devices and monograms, said to be by the same craftsmen who worked at Plaish, Morville, Upton Cressett and Wilderhope [note also the stylistic similarities to the plasterwork at Abbey House, Buildwas and Old Hall, Hughley (q.v. under Buildwas C.P. and Hughley C.P.)]; panelling in other rooms either C19 or brought from elsewhere, good C18 open well staircase with elegant turned balusters. The use of brickwork at Belswardyne Hall is thought to be amongst the earliest in the county and the house merits further study. B.o.E., p.72.

Listing NGR: SJ6027803283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258811
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 72

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09210/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].