FORMER STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF ADDERLEY HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1055294

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF ADDERLEY HALL FARMHOUSE, ADDERLEY PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF ADDERLEY HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 05:56:36.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLE BLOCK APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO NORTH WEST OF ADDERLEY HALL FARMHOUSE, ADDERLEY PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Adderley

National Grid Reference: SJ 65879 39940

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 63 NE ADDERLEY C.P. ADDERLEY PARK SJ 6586 3994

6/6 Former stable block - approx. 100 metres to north-west of Adderley Hall Farmhouse

- II

Stable block, now farmbuildings. Circa 1787-8, probably by John Carline II of Shrewsbury. Red brick with some grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. Square courtyard plan. 2 storeys. West (entrance) front: 4:3:4 bays. Toothed-brick eaves cornice. Central break has triangular pediment with moulded stone cornice and circular wooden clock in tympanum. Central square wooden bellcote with keyed round arches, moulded cornice, and incurved lead cap with globe finial and weathervane. Glazing bar sashes with gauged-brick heads and stone cills. Some windows are painted imitations and some are blocked. Central elliptical-arched carriageway with raised stone impost blocks and keystone. Pair of large wooden doors, each with 8 raised and fielded panels. Courtyard: rear of entrance range of 2:3:2 bays. Central break with triangular pediment, clock in tympanum, and elliptical carriage arch with flanking doorways (left-hand blocked). Side ranges of 5 and 6 bays and rear range of 6 bays, north range and rear range with depressed- arched carriage doorways (some blocked). Some painted imitation windows. At the time of survey (July 1986) some windows have lost their sashes or have been blocked. Late C19 and late C20 additions have been built adjoining the west front. John Carline the Younger (1761-1835) designed the portico (built 1787-9) of Adderley Hall (dem. and rebuilt 1877) for Sir Clive Corbet so it is possible that he was also responsible for the stable block. Adderley Hall Farmhouse is not included on this list. Colvin, p.187.

Listing NGR: SJ6587939940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260309

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 187

End of official listing