This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIDGE NUMBER 72 HAWKSMOOR BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIDGE NUMBER 72 HAWKSMOOR BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1055299

Location

BRIDGE NUMBER 72 HAWKSMOOR BRIDGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Adderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 64 SE ADDERLEY C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

2/14 Bridge No. 72 (Hawksmoor - Bridge)

- II

Canal Bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Limewashed red brick with some blue brick dressings. Elliptical arch. Humped-back shape with chamfered stone string course and parapet with square end piers and rounded stone coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope haulage. This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. This bridge carries Rectory Lane across the canal. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp. 183-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6684240140

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 183-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 66842 40140

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:50:47.

End of official listing