This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1055302

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, BUNTINGDALE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Market Drayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6633-6733 MARKET DRAYTON C.P. BUNTINGSDALE ROAD, Little Drayton (south east side) 12/24 Christ Church

II

Parish church. 1846-7, by S. Pountney Smith and J. Smith, at a cost of £2115. Minor late C19 additions. Roughly-tooled red sandstone ashlar with tooled grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, separately over nave and aisles. 5-bay nave, 5-bay south aisle with porch, 4-bay north aisle with west tower and one-bay chancel with north and south vestrys. Lancet style. Chamfered plinths, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered eaves cornices, parapeted gable ends with chamfered copings and shaped kneelers with gablets, and nave with ridge cresting and crosses at apices of gables. Chamfered lancets, which each have hoodmoulds with scrolled stops. South doorway in second bay from left with continuous double-chamfered arch and boarded door with strap hinges.Porch with continuous double-chamfered archway, blind chamfered lancet in gable above and chamfered lancets to sides. West front: 2-light nave window with Geometrical tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Continuously double-chamfered west doorway with boarded door and hoodmould with scrolled stops. South aisle with tall chamfered rectangular window and chamfered lancet in gable above with hoodmould. East end: chamfered trefoil in apex of nave gable. Aisles have 2-light east windows with Geometrical tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Short chancel with chamfered lancet to south and stepped triple chamfered lancets to east with continuous hoodmould. Small gabled vestrys to north and south, that to south with paired lancets to south and chamfered- arched doorway to east and that to north with chamfered lancet to north. Tower: 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, chamfered set backs, parapet string and battlemented parapet with chamfered coping. Octagonal stair turret to north west with broaches to square base, chamfered offsets, battlemented, parapet and weathervane. Louvred chamfered lancet belfry openings with returned hoodmoulds. Chamfered square panel in second stage to west with circular wooden clock and tall chamfered rectangular window to first stage. Turret with blind and open tall chamfered rect- angular windows and boarded door at base with continuously-chamfered arch. Interior: 5-bay nave arcades consisting of circular piers with moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Continuously double-chamfered tower arches and chancel arch. Chamfered-arched door- way to south vestry. Chamfered rear arches, east windows with chamfered reveals too: 5-bay hammer-beam nave roof with arched-braced collar, king struts and pairs of purlins. 2-bay chancel roof. Fittings: mainly C19. Panelled reredos. Altar rails with twisted wrought-iron supports. C19 octagonal stone pulpit with carved frieze and arcade with marble colcnnettbs, Baptistery beneath tower: square font with chamfered corners and wooden cover. Large organ in north aisle. Gallery at west and of nave with pierced Gothic front and central painted coat of arms dated "VR / 1847". Small table, either C17 or incorporating C17 parts. Creed; Commandment and Lord's Prayer boards. Encaustic tiles throughout. This was the first church designed by the Shrewsbury architect Pountney Smith. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p.675; B.o.E., p.195; Drayton Civic Society, Market Drayton. A Town and its People, p.70.

Listing NGR: SJ6632733593

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Market Drayton A Town and Its People70
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 675
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 195

National Grid Reference: SJ 66327 33593

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 11:10:45.

End of official listing