This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1055307



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Market Drayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260343

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 6634-6734 MARKET DRAYTON C.P. CHURCH STREET (north- west side)

13/40 No. 10


House, latterly inn and shop. Dated 1654, remodelled in the mid-C18. Timber framed. Partly rebuilt and eaves raised in rendered brick. Plain tile roof. 2 framed bays. 2 storeys over basement. Plat band and dentil brick eaves cornice. Integral brick end stack to left. 2-window front; first-floor 4-pane sashes with stone cills. Early C19 former shop window to left consisting of small paned (5 x 3 panes) flat-roofed canted bay with moulded cornice and boarded basement door beneath. Mid-C19 flat-roofed canted bay to right with dentil cornice. Central 2-leaf 4-panelled door with bracketed gabled porch. 2 steps up with twisted wrought-iron handrails. Boarded passageway door to right. Reset datestone above door. Interior: timber framed square- panelled cross wall. Pairs of chamfered spine beams. Large open fireplace in left-hand ground-floor room with chamfered lintel. Right- hand ground-floor room with corner fireplace and wall cupboard with H-hinges. This house was at one time The Sun or Rising Sun Inn. In 1834 it became the shop for Weatherbys the clockmakers (probably the date of the inserted shop window).

Listing NGR: SJ6755934104

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 67559 34104


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2018 at 03:50:35.

End of official listing