Pair of coffin slabs immediately to north of nave of Church of Saint Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055317
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
Church of Saint Peter, Stoke upon Tern

Map

Ordnance survey map of Pair of coffin slabs immediately to north of nave of Church of Saint Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 17:26:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of Saint Peter, Stoke upon Tern

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stoke upon Tern
National Grid Reference:
SJ 63816 27987

Details

SJ 6227-6327 SJ 63810 27986 14/104 STOKE UPON TERN C.P. STOKE UPON TERN Pair of coffin slabs immediately to north of nave of Church of Saint Peter

GV II Pair of coffin slabs. Probably C13 or C14. Red sandstone. Each with incised cross and border. At the time of survey (March 1986) only the top half of the westernmost slab remains. This is one of three groups of coffin slabs to the north of the Church of Saint Peter (qv). They were discovered built into the foundations of the south wall of the old church. The present church dates from 1874-75.

Listing NGR: SJ6381627987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260261
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 728

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07695/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony J Dunford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].