MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRIDGE NUMBER 57

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055326
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRIDGE NUMBER 57, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRIDGE NUMBER 57
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 08:30:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES TO SOUTH OF BRIDGE NUMBER 57, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sutton upon Tern
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69719 30693

Details

SUTTON UPON TERN C.P.

SJ 63 SE

3/128

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

(South-West side) Milepost approximately 15 metres to south of Bridge Number 57

II

Milepost. Circa 1830. Cast iron. Short cylindrical round-topped post with curved rectangular plates to front, two to top and one to bottom. Superscribed serif lettering reads: 'AUTHERLEY / JUNCTION / 24. MILES' (left-hand side), 'NANTWICH / 15 / MILES.' (right-hand side) and 'NORBURY / JUNCTION / 8 1/2 MILES.' (bottom).

This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19 September 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260287
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pellow, T, Bowen, P, The Shroppie A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966), 183-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12701/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].