Ellerton Mill

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055357
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
Ellerton Mill, Mill Lane, Cheswardine

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055357.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 18:59:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ellerton Mill, Mill Lane, Cheswardine

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cheswardine
National Grid Reference:
SJ 71406 25973

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13 October 2021 to correct spelling in selected sources and to reformat the text to current standards

SJ 72 NW SJ 7141 2596 8/9

CHESWARDINE C.P. MILL LANE (south side) Ellerton Mill

II Watermill. Late C18. Red brick on dressed red sandstone plinth; plain tile roof. Two storeys and loft. Dentil brick eaves cornice. East front (at right angles to road): first floor segmental-headed two-light window to right and segmental-headed boarded door to left. Two ground floor segmental-headed two-light windows flanking segmental headed doorway. Northern gable end with segmental-headed boarded loft door and first floor boarded door off-centre to right. Datestone in gable illegible at time of survey (March 1986) but possibly reads: "William Chandler 1795". Gable end to south with three dovecote openings in apex. Cast-iron overshot double-width wheel to west with header tank.

Interior: dog-leg stair, trap doors. All other fittings removed. Pair of roof trusses.

Listing NGR: SJ7140625973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260159
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Donaldson Hudson, Ruth, The Parish of Cheswardine, (1939), 141-143

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14904/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Davis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].