This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES TO WEST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 48

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES TO WEST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 48

List entry Number: 1055358

Location

MILEPOST APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES TO WEST OF BRIDGE NUMBER 48, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Cheswardine

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260161

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHESWARDINE C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 72 NW (south side) SJ 7298 2750 Milepost approx 150 8/11 metres to west of Bridge - No. 48

- II

Milepost. Circa 1830. Cast iron. Short cylindrical round-topped post with curved rectangular plates to front, 2 to top and one to bottom. Superscribed serif lettering reads: "AUTHERLEY/JUNCTION/21 MILES" (left hand side), "NANTWICH/18/MILE" (right-hand side) and "NORBURY JUNCTION/5 1/2 MILES." (bottom). This stretch of canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp 183-9; Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie. A portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal.

Listing NGR: SJ7298227498

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985)
Pellow, T, Bowen, P, The Shroppie A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal

National Grid Reference: SJ 72982 27498

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055358 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 02:30:57.

End of official listing